I learned this dish thanks to my cousin Damla when several years ago she asked for my help in her mission to translate a book entitled ‘After Work Cook: Fantastic Food, Minimum Fuss’ by Carina Cooper. This book contains a lot of unusual and really fun recipes, among which one of them particularly became one of my staples recipes: Chorizo baked with apple, rosemary, red onions and potatoes. But since I found this name a bit too long for my own records, I changed the name to Baked Potatoes with Apples & Soudjouk, just as I adapted the recipe itself. Chorizo is in any case not something we can easily find in my country so I had to use a replacement for it. Our traditional Turkish sausages called “soudjouk” fit in perfectly for this recipe, because they are also available in hot spicy form or plain form. If the hot spicy kind of sausages are too hot for you, you can always use the plain ones or make a mixture of both. You can even try using different sausages made from turkey or chicken meat. It’s totally up to you. I had a hard time deciding whether this dish should be considered as part of Starters & Appetizers or as part of some other category. But actually it serves quite well as a main dish, with a soup to start with and a tossed green salad or some djadjik to the side!
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 250-300 gr chorizo or soudjouk
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 medium Gala apple
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, freshly ground blackpepper
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Heat oven to 200 C degrees.
- Coat the bottom of a roasting dish with olive oil and place dish into oven.
- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes. Peel garlic but leave whole. Peel and cut onion into half moons. Cut soudjouk into discs.
- Wash and dry rosemary sprigs. Scrape off leaves and roughly chop them.
- Take roasting dish out of oven and place all ingredients excepts for chorizo (and apple). Sprinkle with salt and turn until they are all well coated with oil. Then spread them evenly and place dish back into oven.
- About 20 minutes later peel, core and dice apple into cubes the same size as you diced the potatoes and add to the rest of the ingredients along with the chorizo or soudjouk.Toss everything and return dish into oven.
- Bake about 20 minutes more. You can actually increase the baking time if you want crispier potatoes, it’s up to you.