- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled and washed
- 250 gr caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Walnuts, to serve on top
For tahini sauce
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 50 ml milk
- Some water
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
Cut pumpkin into equal sized chunks as far as possible and place them in a large based pan with a lid in a single layer if possible.
- Add the sugar with a pinch of salt. Place lid on and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, then over low heat for another 20-25 minutes. NOTE:I prefer to cook my pumpkin dessert without adding any water. Sometimes I even take the lid off during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time to help reduce the liquid amount. If you prefer to obtain a more syrupy consistency you can add about 50 ml of water along with the sugar and not open the lid at all.
Once cooked, leave the pumpkin to cool in the pan. Meanwhile prepare tahini sauce.
- Put tahini and sugar in a bowl and mix. Then gradually add the milk and mix well with a small whisk or a fork. Don’t panick if the tahini becomes clotted. Dilute by adding some water in small amounts until you obtain a smooth creamy consistency. If you have lumps in the mixture just pass it through a sieve. You can keep this sauce in the refrigerator in a covered container and take it out a few minutes in advance to let it soften up at room temperature.
- To serve, you can either pour some tahini sauce on the plate and place the pumpkin on top of it or place the pumpkin chunks in a serving plate and drizzle some sauce on top. Whichever way you choose to serve make sure to serve your dessert with a generous sprinkling of chooped walnuts.