- 240 gr semi-sweet dark chocolate
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 90 gr butter (+ a little more to grease the pan)
- 120 gr granulated sugar, plus a pinch of salt
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar (or ½ tsp vanilla extract)
- ½ tsp instant coffee powder
- 1-2 tbsp bitter cocoa (for the pan)
- Confectioner’s sugar, to sprinkle on top
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Preheat oven to 160oC. Grease a 23-24 cm round springform pan with a little knob of butter and line bottom with baking paper. Dust the pan with some cocoa, making sure to get the sides well-coated with cocoa (take care to do this above the sink!)
- Cut or break chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl with butter. Melt chocolate and butter with using 2-3 intervals of 30 seconds each at high power, checking and mixing the chocolate between each interval. Then leave aside to cool a little.
- In a separate large mixing bowl beat egg whites with a pinch salt until you start getting soft peaks. Then slowly start adding sugar approximately one teaspoon at a time, while you continue to beat the egg whites at high speed until you obtain stiff peaks.
- Then add egg yolks one by one to chocolate mixture, whisking well after each addition. Add instant coffe powder and vanilla and mix well.
- Now add one fourth of the egg whites into the chocolate and fold using a silicone spatula until well-blended. Then add the rest of the egg whites and fold into chocolate mixture. The main point here is to obtain a homogenous mixture, leaving no big clumps of egg white. But you have to work gently yet quickly when folding the egg whites into the chocolate because you do not want to lose the volume.
- Finally pour mixture into springform pan and bake approximately 45 minutes (decrease baking time by about 10 minutes if using fan-forced oven).
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight if possible. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve cold.