- 500 gr traditional white bread flour
- 200 gr semolina, and some more to sprinkle in pan
- 10 gr dry instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1,5 tbsp honey
- 440 ml water
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on top
- Sea salt (coarse is better)
- 3-4 twigs of fresh rosemary
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Pour the water into the pan of your bread machine. Add salt and honey. Then add flour and semolina. Finally sprinkle the instant yeast on top.
- Select the “dough” setting on your machine. This should be the program for kneading the dough and giving it the first rise but it should not involve the baking phase! In most machines this setting has a duration of 90 minutes. (Check your user’s manual if you’re not sure which program to select).
- Once the dough is ready – and actually you need not hurry since the dough can wait in the warmth of the machine while you do something else – you can start preparing the tray or pan in which you will bake your focaccia. You can use a large standard oven tray, in which you can make a more or less ‘free-form’ or roundish, if you will, focaccia. Or you can choose to bake it in a ca. 37×27 cm rectuganluar pan that is approximately 5 cm deep. I prefer the latter since that’s the kind of focaccia I used to enjoy at an Italian restaurant we used to go to (too bad they closed!)
- So, whichever tray you choose to use you should grease it and sprinkle some semolina (or cornflour) all over the surface. Then dust your counter with some flour, knead your dough for a few minutes to get the air out. Give it a rectugangular shape about 2,5 cm thick and place it in the tray. If you think this is going to be difficult you can make a smaller rectangle first then do the final shaping in the tray.
- If you are using fresh rosemary wash the sprigs, remove leaves from sprigs, and roughly chop them. Sprinkle them on top of your dough then make “holes” in the dough using your knuckles. Do this in regular rows from one end of the tray to the other. Cover your tray with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm corner for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile start preheating your oven to 225-250 degrees C. Once your oven has reached the desired temperature and your dough has risen to become about double in height, place your tray on the lowest rack or second rack and bake your for approximately 15-18 minutes.
Once you take it out of the oven you should immediately drizzle it with good quality extra virgin olive oil and a good sprinkle of sea salt. Leave it to cool a little, then slice and serve!