- 225 gr graham crackers
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 85 gr butter
- 500 gr pumpkin purée
- 120-150 gr caster sugar
- 200 ml fresh cream
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch salt, pinch nutmeg
- Note that you may use 225 gr of condensed milk instead of sugar and fresh cream.
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Cut off green parts, if any, from pumpkin pieces, wash them and cut them into medium chunks. You must have a net weight of 500 gr of pumpkin.
- Now steam cook the pumpkin pieces for approximately 20 mns. Cooking time may vary according to the type of pumpkin you use. Preheat your oven to 175 C. When the pumpkin is cooked to a soft consistency, place it into a large, deep bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile start preparing the crust. First grease a 22 cm removable bottom tart tin and set aside. (If you use a tart tin that is larger in diameter than the given size you will have to increase the amount of the ingredients respectively.)
Take 225 gr of graham crackers, place them in a food processor, add the spices and pulse to obtain finely ground crackers. Now melt the butter and add to the ground crackers. Place mixture in tart tin and use the botton of a measuring cup to spread mixture evenly in the tin. Place tin onto a tray and bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven. Take out of oven and set aside to cool. (Please note that it is important to place the tart tin onto a tray if using a removable bottom tart tin!) I should also point out that the original recipe calls for ginger cookies – Swedish “pepparkakor” to be precise. So it is up to you to decide which version of the crust you choose to make. I always opt for the graham cracker version. One great advantage for some people is that you have the chance to omit or adjust the spices, in case you’re not too fond of them!
- Now take the bowl with the cooled steam cooked pumpkin, add the egg yolks, a pinch of salt and nutmeg, sugar and cream (or use 225 gr condensed milk instead of the sugar and cream) and purée with a hand-held blender until smooth. Pour mixture into prebaked and cooled crust and cook in preheated oven at 175 C for about 30-35 mns. Leave to cool to room temperature. Serve preferably after refrigerating overnight.
Of course you may choose to serve with freshly whipped cream and walnuts or any other additional condiment of your choice! Bon appétit!