What happens when you want to make cookies, say in the middle of the night, and you realize you’re out of brown sugar? But you desperately need to make those cookies (or whatever it is you have a craving for)! No, the answer is not “let’s use regular sugar instead” because for some recipes it just HAS to be brown sugar! It’s the soft packed brown sugar that gives those drop cookies their soft and kinda chewy interior with their slightly caramelized crunchy crust 😀
Well there’s no need to panic. As long as you have regular caster sugar and some molasses on hand you can make your own brown sugar as soft or dark as you wish. It will only take you a few minutes and trust me, it’s even better than store-bought.
- 1 cup (225-240 gr) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (ca 21 gr) molasses
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Place the sugar in a large based bowl and drizlle the molasses on top. The amount of sugar may vary slightly according to the particle size of the sugar you use. It is said that small particle size sugar should be preferred over larger ones for brown sugar.
- Use a fork to blend well until no lumps of molasses remain. I prefer to use mulberry molasses. And harnup molasses, which has an even thicker consistency, is another of my favorites. But you can experiment with whatever kind of molasses you like.
- Transfer your homemade brown sugar into a jar with lid and keep in a dark place.
- I usually make at least double the amount stated here so that I have some ready on hand for a while.