- 1 large orange
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 1 tbsp butter (to grease cake tin)
- 5 eggs, separated (use medium or large eggs)
- 1 cup sugar (this is 240 gr but I use about 170 gr)
- 1 teaspoon rhum (or orange liqueur, cognac etc)
- 1 ½ cups (165 gr) blanched and finely ground almonds (almond meal)
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- In saucepan on medium heat combine whole orange with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and cook till ½ cup syrup liquid remains (about 1 hour). Remove from heat.
- When cool, remove orange, cut in half and discard seeds and remove the pith found in the middle part. Put orange halves with peels and ¼ cup of syrup in blender. Process till smooth.
- Heat oven to 175 C. Butter a springform pan. And line bottom and sides with baking paper. Butter the baking paper. Set aside.
- In bowl beat egg yolks and sugar with electric mixer until the mixture turns pale. Add rum, orange purée, almonds and mix well.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Stir ¼ of whites into yolk mixture, then fold remaining whites until no white streaks remain. Make sure to use silicone or wooden spoon or spatula for this folding process. Pour into pan. Bake approximately 1 hour on lower rack. Cover with a large piece of baking paper if top of cake seems to turn too dark a color.
Leave to cool before taking out of springform pan. Sprinkle cake with confectioner’s sugar.
- To make your cake look a little more festive, melt some bitter chocolate with a little bit of cream and butter then pour this ganache in thin lines or whatever design you wish on top of your cooled cake. To make ganache, use ca.100gr bitter or bittersweet chocolate, 1 tbsp of butter and ca 100 ml of fresh cream. Heat cream and butter, pour on top of finely chopped chocolate, let stand a couple of minutes, then mix well. Pour mixture into a ziplock freezer bag, make a small cut on one corner of bag and drizzle on top of cake, going back and forth to obtain thin lines.
To keep your plate or base clean, cut rectangular pieces of baking paper and place between the base or plate and the cake before drizzling the ganache. Then wait until ganache sets, gently pull the pieces of paper and discard.