- 1 liter whole-fat milk
- 120 gr all purpose flour
- 140 gr caster sugar
- 200 ml fresh cream
- 300 gr shredded kadayif
- 140 gr caster sugar
- 100 gr walnuts, roughly chopped
- 75 gr butter
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Place flour, sugar and a pinch of salt into a deep pan. Blend using a whisk and add about 100 -200 ml of the milk. Mix well in order to obtain a smooth thick batter with no lumps then gradually add rest of milk. Place pan over medium heat and cook the pudding, mixing constantly all through the cookin time. Take off heat when it comes to a boil and set aside to cool.
- When the pudding has cooled, you will add the fresh cream and mix with an electric mixer for about 6-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, while your pudding is left to cool, get the kadayif ready. For this, you will need a large skillet. Place your skillet over medium heat and add butter. Pull the kadayıf into shreds and add to the butter. Sprinkle the sugar and constantly fold the kadayıf using a wooden spatula, making sure that it browns evenly.
- When the color of kadayif starts to brown a little add your roughly chopped walnuts and continue to toss until the kadayif becomes crunchy and crispy. This browning process may take quite some time if using fresh kadayif. You may have to adjust the heat during the browning and be careful not to burn the kadayif. In Turkey we have some ready-to-use kadayif, sold in markets or youphka shops, that usually also contain some chopped walnuts. These come already partly browned. If you can find that kind of kadayif in shops that sell Middle-Eastern delicacies I suggest you use that kind since it will shorten the browning time and be much easier to use. If you do find and use this already browned kind of kadayif also check to see if it contains walnuts, in which case you may want to add less than stated in the recipe.
- You may use a single large dish to serve your dessert or glass ramekins for single servings (this recipe will yield about 8-12 servings depending on the size of the ramekins). In any case you will need to let the kadayif cool down before layering your dessert.
- In both cases, place some kadayif on the bottom and press gently to even out the surface (if you use a single large dish place half the kadayif on the bottom and half on top). Pour the pudding over the bottom layer of kadayif and spread to obtain an even surface. Finally sprinkle the rest of the kadayif on top and again press gently to even out the surface.
- Leave to cool thoroughly in refrigerator for at least 5-6 hours or preferably overnight.