I’ll be honest! Sometimes I really get tired of writing my anecdotes twice. And sometimes there really isn’t much to tell that I think could be of interest for anyone other than me! Plus I don’t think that any foodblog reader is overly fond of very long narrations about how the blogger came up with that specific recipe etc. I know most people are just anxious to get to the point and maybe a lot of people don’t even read the stories at all! But just to fill in the gap and stick to the rule I’ll try to be brief and tell you about this recipe.
The story behind this one is quite simple and short. We have a sweet, lovely neighbor in Bodrum, where we go and stay for the summer. She makes the best plum marmalade ever and brings us a jar full every year. This time I had to use it up quicker than usual since we weren’t staying too long. So I decided to make a tart but then I was too lazy for that. Then I thought why not make a galette with marmalade filling? And then I remembered how clumsy I am at slicing and serving my food so I immediately changed my mind about the galette (not exaclty the easiest pie to serve now is it?) And then finally I decided on cookies and somehow ended up making these not-very-skillfully-shaped marmalade filled cookies which actually turned out looking like “mini” galettes! I was also too lazy at that moment to look up any of the available recipes for the dough so I just made it up on the spot. And then these cookies turned out soooo good that I had to quickly take note of everything I had done step by step. Baking is serious business. You think you won’t forget but you do! So here it is, possibly one of the easiest cookies you can ever make, as long as you have some good (preferably) homemade marmalade!
- 150 gr (1 stick + 3 tbsp) butter, softened at room temperature
- ca 90 gr (about 1/2 cup) confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 2 tsp vanilla sugar)
- Pinch salt
- 1 medium egg, at room temperature
- 2 cups (about 300 gr) all purpose flour
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Line a tray with baking paper and set aside. Heat oven to 170 C (340 F).
- Beat soft butter with confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt until smooth and pale in color.
- Add egg and incorporate by beating a couple of more minutes.
- In another bowl sift flour and add into butter mixture in 2 or 3 batches gently incorporating with each addition. Using your hand, quickly form into a smooth, soft dough. Add a little flour if necessary. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Cut dough into 16 equal sized pieces. Take one piece at a time and flatten out in your palm to make a round disc of about 9-10 cm (about 3 1/2 inches) in diameter. Place a heaping teaspoon of marmalade in the middle and gently fold rims of dough towards the middle leaving an opening in the middle. You can do the folding after placing the dough onto the tray.
- Place tray into preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Place cookies on cooling rack once out of the oven.