- 500 gr pumpkin or butternut squash
- 125 gr caster sugar
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Some freshly grated nutmeg, pinch of salt
For the crumble
- 175 gr wholewheat flour
- 150 gr butter, cold
- 3 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 dl or a heaping 1/3 cup of roughly chopped walnuts, or same amount of pumpkin seed
Step by step method
Adım Adım Yapılışı0/0 Tamamlanan Adımlar
- Heat oven to 200-225 C (400-430 F) Lightly grease an ovenproof dish (about 20×20 cm or 8×8 inch) or 4-6 small dishes with some butter or cooking spray.
- Cut pumpkin into 2-2,5 cm (about 1 inch) cubes.
- Combine sugar and spices in a large bowl, add cubed pumpkin and mix well to coat the pieces. Then transfer to prepared dish or dishes.
- To make the crumble, combine flour, pinch salt and brown sugar in a bowl. Cut cold butter into cubes and add to the flour. Make dough with the tip of your fingers, or using a fork or a pastry blender. The aim is to obtain a crumbly consistency so do not overmix the dough!
- If you wish to add walnuts, do it now and gently blend to combine into the crumbly dough.
- Spread dough over the pumpkin to cover completely (or divide equally among portion size dishes). If you did not use walnuts in the dough you can sprinkle a handful of pumpkin seeds on top.
Place on 2nd or 3rd rack in oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and crispy on top. Refrigerate any leftovers.